About this job
LOCATION: Oakland, CA preferred, but remote considered for right candidate
Daily Kos is the nation’s largest liberal online political community, news organization, and activism hub. Powered by millions of dedicated activists, we’re transforming media and organizing by empowering regular Americans to reshape politics.
We are seeking an experienced VP of Engineering to manage and scale our growing engineering team. This person will set and achieve our engineering strategy and goals by working closely with leadership and the product team to deliver what’s next for Daily Kos, ensure the maintenance and performance of the existing systems and features, grow the engineering team and demonstrate technical leadership. This person should expect to consistently, collaboratively and efficiently deliver engineering excellence.
Daily Kos is an exciting workplace! Our site is used by hundreds of thousands of people a day who care deeply about progressive politics and are working to affect real political change. We provide an extensive feature set that extends from blogging to activism and beyond, built on top of a modern tool chain that includes Rails, React, Varnish, Nginx, RDS/MySQL, Haskell, Nix, ElasticSearch, and AWS. We have an energized team of great people with diverse backgrounds and skill sets. If you’re interested in a position that offers more than just a technical challenge, we’d love to hear from you.
- Execution of dynamic management, leadership, and strategic vision for growing engineering team.
- Build and inspire a diverse world-class engineering team that delivers with quality and efficiency.
- Establish key internal relationships and cross-functional teams to deliver creative, high-performing, secure and sustainable solutions.
- Manage architecture to produce scalable product in a steadily growing political media organization.
- Ensure attitude of constant vigilance around security of software that is critical to an organization with a highly visible public presence.
- Develop and implement top-notch product road-map and development processes.
- Successfully recruiting, managing, and retaining remote staff including contractors.
- Maintaining and/or replacing legacy software.
- Building on top of Rails and React is highly desirable.
- Ideally, dealing ad networks from the publisher side, doing any or all of the following: creating ads; managing the integration of ad networks; advertising client relations; ad trafficking; and ad inventory creation.
- Leading, mentoring, motivating, and developing diverse teams.
- Leader with a demonstrated track record building and scaling technical teams to deliver compelling experiences for large audiences across multiple channels and platforms.
- Influencer with the capacity to bridge existing solutions with new and innovative software architecture and features.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to identify complex issues early and address them systematically before they become problematic.
- Team leader who believes transparency, collaboration, and inclusiveness can be key to scaling.
- Engineering authority who understands that quality is paramount, but speed is critical to keep pace with American politics and liberal activists.
- Superb communicator, able to bring alignment to teams with individuals at all levels.
SALARY RANGE: $180,000 - $200,000
This position is a 40 hour/week, full-time exempt position and reports to the Chief Technical Officer. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States. The position offers a flexible work environment, the ability to work remotely or from home, competitive salary, excellent benefits including: full medical, dental and vision benefits, optional 401K with a company match, professional development stipend, a generous vacation package, as well as employer-paid maternity/family leave. Our organizational commitment to personal growth and work-life balance reduces churn and encourages a very rewarding long term position.
At Daily Kos, we believe that the diversity of ideas, experiences, and cultures that our employees contribute to our organization help us be more effective activists, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We have a team of amazing people with different backgrounds and talents that are energized by the day’s news events, and people united by common cause. We’re a company that loves learning and supports growth and training for all our employees.
Women, people of color, and LGBTQIA individuals strongly encouraged to apply.
About Daily Kos (Kos Media LLC)
Daily Kos is the nation's largest liberal online political community, news organization, and activism hub. Powered by millions of dedicated activists, we’re transforming media and organizing by empowering regular Americans to reshape politics.
At Daily Kos, we believe that the diversity of ideas, experiences, and cultures that our employees contribute to our organization help us be more effective activists, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We're a company that loves learning and supports growth and training for all our employees. This position will be located remotely or in our Oakland, CA office.
- 100% Medical Coverage
- 6 weeks paid vacation per year
- 401K Plan