About this job
Are you looking for an opportunity that fulfills your passion for developing software and advances educational and racial equity? Are you excited about applying your engineering skills to have a positive impact on the lives of underserved students across the United States? Are you hoping to work with a team that truly prioritizes learning, collaboration, and work-life balance?
Achievement Network (ANet) is a non-profit dedicated to advancing equity, and often named by The NonProfit Times as one of the “Best Nonprofits to Work For.”
We are seeking multiple full-time Senior Software Engineers to help our Engineering Team build products that support Achievement Network’s (ANet) mission. The ideal candidate will be inspired by technical challenges, motivated to apply modern development technologies and best practices to deliver high-quality software systems, and committed to participating fully in our organizational effort to combat systemic racism by pushing ourselves along the anti-racism spectrum.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
● Play a key role as an individual contributor in designing and implementing sustainable code for substantial features and/or sections of code
● Implement ANet’s next generation of technology products that support data-driven educational practices and help to close the achievement gap in the underserved communities we partner with
● Create, monitor and deliver against the product road map and corresponding release cycles (as negotiated with the Product Management Team)
● Provide strategic leadership in setting goals and measuring progress in RESTful server-side APIs and/or agile, componentized client-side code
● Keep abreast of new technologies and propose adoption as appropriate
● Mentor and support the development of junior developers as appropriate
● Actively embrace and model best practices such as code reviews, unit testing, and planning/scoping/vetting larger features
● Proactively look for ways to build our team through individual contributions which help us improve code quality, team culture, and team velocity
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU BRING
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
● You are an exceptional individual contributor who prefers coding and has recent hands-on experience designing, implementing, delivering, and maintaining high quality web applications using
o Java and/or Go programming languages
o RESTful Web Services
o Software-as-a-service (SaaS) and Service-oriented architecture (SOA)
o CI/CD tools such as CircleCI to automate software builds, tests, and deployments
● You are skilled in working closely with business partners to build technology solutions that meet the needs of internal and external users.
● You are a team player who motivates and educates colleagues; you enjoy working in a highly collaborative culture and value process that creates consistent, sustainable solutions across applications and sub-teams.
● You are flexible and humble. You enjoy learning about new ways of doing things, and know how to adjust solutions to maximize the effectiveness of the entire team.
● You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels.
● You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily and are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet’s Advance Equity and People Matter values.
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
● 4+ years of software development experience, including at least one year of experience in a high-scale enterprise environment
● Experience on a mid-sized team where coordination and team review of best practices and pattern reuse is required.
● Experience with AWS features and how to manage them responsibly
● A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related degree
HOW TO APPLY
We are now accepting applications for this position, which will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please click on the “Apply” button. You will then be prompted to complete a brief application and upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter in which you outline why you are interested in working for ANet and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
WHAT WE OFFER
ANet offers competitive non-profit compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 3 weeks of vacation (4 weeks after two years with ANet); 10 paid holidays plus paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays; a paid floating holiday; paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
Life at Achievement Network
About Achievement Network
WHO WE ARE
Every student deserves opportunities in life, and every educator committed to providing those opportunities deserves support. Those beliefs drive us to work alongside schools to support great teaching so that we can work towards guaranteeing that all students are receiving high quality instruction. We partner with over 900 schools - both district and charter - in underserved communities around the country, thus impacting more than 330,000 students. Third-party evaluations confirm that when schools have the right basic conditions in place and partner with ANet, they achieve 6-8 months of additional learning over a two-year period compared to schools not partnering with ANet.
At ANet we are committed to living out our core values, both across our organization and with our partner schools. We acknowledge that systemic inequities impact student access to opportunities and that in order to ensure educational equity for all students, we must center on the experiences of those from marginalized communities to guide our work. We work to deepen our understanding of how race, class, power, and privilege influence the education system as well as influence our own perspectives. To do so, we provide ongoing learning opportunities through professional development, affinity groups, working groups, and resource sharing.
Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to be part of a dynamic, values-driven, and team-oriented organization that is committed to having impact in schools by investing in each other and learning together. We were named in The NonProfit Times’ “Best Nonprofits to Work For” and work tirelessly to foster a working environment where the unique perspectives, backgrounds, and identities of our staff members are valued.
- 80% Health, Dental, Vision
- 3 Weeks Vacation
- 10 Paid Holidays
- Paid Parental Leave
- Retirement Plan Options
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Short and Long-Term Disability Coverage
- Basic Life and Personal Accident Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Commuter Benefits