About this job
Data Platform team @Heetch
The Data Platform team at Heetch is responsible for offering high SLOs in terms of automated data ingestion, security, and availability - as well as providing schedule and compute resources for the entire company to leverage.
By joining the Data Platform Team you will build the distributed components, systems and tools that power all the decisions at Heetch. Our millions of rides create an incredibly rich dataset that needs to be transformed, exposed and analyzed in order to improve the various products Heetch is made of.
As a member of the team you will design and grow our existing infrastructure, while democratizing data access in the company by promoting its correct use for analytics and machine learning purposes.
As an Engineering Manager, you will manage a rapidly growing fully remote engineering team to build a product on a highly scalable data platform.
You'll be responsible all data-related delivery at Heetch and will have the opportunity to shape the team and have a large impact on the company.
Our team's values
- Move smart: we are data driven, and employ tools and best practices to ship code quickly and safely (continuous integration, code review, automated testing, etc).
- Distribute knowledge: we want to scale our engineering team to a point where our contributions do not stop at the company code base.
- We believe in the Open Source culture and communication with the outside world.
- Leave code better than you found it: because we constantly raise the bar.
- Unity makes strength: moving people from A to B is not as easy as it sounds but, we always keep calm and support each other.
- Always improve: we value personal progress and want you to look back proudly on what you’ve done.
Does it sound like you?
- You have previous experience in leading a team
- At least 3 years of experience in working with huge data sets
- Expert level proficiency in data lakes, as well as OLAP data warehouses, strong familiarity how they work internally
- Already designed and implemented robust distributed systems (Kafka, Akka, Spark Streaming, Storm, etc.) and/or scheduling systems (Luigi, Airflow, Azkaban...)
- Proficiency in at least one of the languages: Scala, Python, Java
- Ability to perform complex data analysis with large volumes of data
- Rigor in test coverage, and other best practices
- Great oral and written communication skills
- Familiar with startups: you’re not afraid of wearing many different hats and know when corners shouldn’t or should be cut
- Remote friendly: you're not afraid to manage people living thousands of miles away
What will you do?
- Work with engineering and product teams to facilitate project delivery by ensuring alignment and on time deliver.
- Define, implement, and oversee a flexible and effective development process to reach the team's delivery goals
- Offer a collaborative and welcoming development environment for your team members • Deliver high quality, high availability, highly reliable, scalable, and secure distributed systems
- Support and inspire an ambitious group of engineers in their career goals
- Work with our people operations team to maintain our high performance and high morale
- Oversee a distributed team (fully remote across Europe) of motivated engineers spanning all experience levels
- Facilitate continuous learning and improvement for the team and its members
- Provide technical and non-technical guidance to the team, both individually and as a group
- Maximize team productivity and build loyalty by deeply understanding & incorporating various motivations, working styles and preferences
- Cultivate high engagement, performance and commitment to the product through a motivational & visionary approach
- Develop and mentor upcoming leaders and key engineers
- Be actively involved in hiring and growing our engineering team
- Plan and implement hiring strategies to attract talent within your team
- Advocate for engineering and management on the blog or at social and tech events
- Recruit outstanding technical talents from diverse backgrounds while continuously enhancing our recruiting strategies and programs
- Help us grow and evolve our engineering culture
- Work with other engineering managers to drive cultural changes across the organisation
If your application is selected, the process will be composed of 4 steps:
- Interview with a Technical Recruiter (45mn)
- Take home assignment (~5 days deadline)
- Interview with your future Engineering Manager (1h)
- Day on site (Paris) to meet your future teammates and stakeholders
You can also have a look at our open-source projects and contributions here
Life at Heetch
Heetch is a mobility app with a simple mission: We want people to enjoy going out.
Every night and every day, our drivers are doing their best to make their rides unforgettable and friendly! We are focused on young people's expectations and are competing within a fast-paced market.
The service launched in Paris in September 2013 has been growing ever since, with thousands of daily rides in France, Belgium, and Morocco. With more than 1 million users in Europe, we are proud to be one of the fastest growing French startups!
- Full-remote & remote friendly environment
- Paid conferences attendance/travel
- Annual company retreat
- Team retreats
- Heetch Credits