About this job
HOMER has a newly created opportunity for a Senior Backend Engineer to join our growing team! This will be a remote position.
HOMER, a BEGiN brand, is the proven early learning program that provides the best educational start possible. We offer personalized, fun, and proven learning products for kids ages 2-8 to help build confidence, mastery, and a love of learning. We are deeply committed to our members and to their children, and we are building a creative and strategic team to develop a portfolio of early learning products that support learning everywhere.
Reporting into our Director of Technology, the Senior Backend Engineer will be a key member of our engineering team, building the back end services and infrastructure team essential to our growing business. Over time, we expect you to grow by learning and practicing technical ownership, promoting best practices in coding and architecture, collaborating with and mentoring other members of the engineering team through code reviews and paired programming, and becoming a vocal advocate of our engineering forward culture.
Our backend technology stack includes the following:
- Node.js and TypeScript as the main programming language
- Python for handling long running internal processes
- Applications are hosted in AWS
- We use GIT for source control
- Develop and maintain key internal and public-facing back end systems such as user management microservices
- Design redundant and scalable architectures for high performance web and mobile delivery across multiple platforms
- Engineer simple and elegant solutions to challenging problems, working towards an overall team goal of 99.99% uptime
- Design and engineer secure RESTful APIs
- Updating legacy code to implement cutting edge tech
- Proficiency in Node.js and TypeScript
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience with Amazon Web Services
- Experience in relational and non-relational databases
- Experience in unit testing and end-to-end testing
- Experience with MVC frameworks
- Good knowledge of continuous delivery
- Good knowledge of microservices
- Good knowledge of software fundamentals design/architectural patterns.
- Good knowledge of HTML/CSS
- Good knowledge of authentication, encryption and security techniques
- Experience building CMS and reporting systems
- Experience developing apps with Ed Tech industry standards. (e.g., PCI and COPPA compliance)
- Experience in a startup environment
We like people who:
- Are enthusiastic about learning and applying new cutting edge technologies.
- Take ownership of your own work.
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and are able to convey a very technical situation to less technical colleagues.
- Are pragmatic, able to determine when and why it is the right call to take a step back and refactor old code versus putting together a quick fix.
What you’ll get:
- HOMER offers competitive compensation including equity and full benefits.
- Smart, passionate, and engaged co-workers.
- Excellent top-tier Medical/Dental/Vision benefits
- The chance to have a big impact, quickly
- The rare opportunity to make a dent in the universe. We’re bringing a love of reading and learning to children globally!
HOMER is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. HOMER does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.
Life at Homer
Homer is the award-winning early learning brand brought to families and schools by Begin, the learning company dedicated to building scalable solutions to the literacy crisis. Homer fulfills the Begin corporate mission by developing content that motivates children ages 2 to 8 to learn to read, teaches them the skills they need to become strong readers, and offers learning experiences tailored to subjects that excite them.
Everything we do at Homer is grounded in our belief that children who explore their interests and passions through reading will become strong, motivated, confident readers ready to take on the world. We meet children where they are on their learning journey and grow with them, supporting children and their parents along the way.
Our current product offerings include the Homer #1 Learn to Read Program, which offers families and teachers an end-to-end digital literacy curriculum that was proven through research to increase early reading scores by 74%, and Speakaboos, the highly engaging reading motivation platform that boasts more than 300 interactive titles for young children. Homer and Speakaboos will integrate their content offerings into one subscription service in late 2017 to more fully serve children at every age and stage of learning. Homer also serves families around the world who look to the brand as a trusted English language learning resource.
Founded in 2008 as “Speakaboos,” Begin acquired HomerLearning in 2016. With offices in New York City and in Nashville, TN, we provide professional opportunities for creative, passionate people who are committed to igniting a love of reading in young children and using technology, powerful teaching, and beautiful design to engage their creativity and interests.
- happy growing team
- Commuter benefits
- Fully covered medical, dental, vision benefits for employee
- Paid leave for primary and secondary caregivers
- flexible work hours
- flexible location
- real revenue, real business
- Gym reimbursement
- 15 Days PTO and an office closure for Winter Break
- Unlimited Sick Leave