About this job
WHO WE ARE
ORCID (https://orcid.org/) is an independent non-profit organization that serves the research community. We have a global and interdisciplinary scope and a strong focus on user control and privacy. Our core mission is to connect research and researchers. We do this by providing an identifier for individuals to use with their name as they engage in research, scholarship, and innovation activities; by providing tools and training to the community for integrating these identifiers into research workflows; and by building and sustaining a community of users and adopters. Launched in October 2012, there are now over 7,000,000 ORCID registrants, more than 1,000 organizational members, and 30+ staff members in 15 countries. Our website and Registry (orcid.org) are published in 12 languages.
ORCID is a mission-driven organization grounded by our core values: we are open, transparent. collaborative, global, diverse, inclusive, trusted, and persistent. We are committed to our values and welcome applications from all qualified candidates.
ORCID is seeking an enthusiastic and motivated team member with exceptional communication skills to join our Technical Team. The successful candidate will join a small development team to provide devops expertise for our production and QA systems, and the whole software development life cycle. This position is full-time (40 hour/week) and reports to the Technical Director. As for all ORCID staff, this is a remote position.
Working with software developers and QA specialists, the Senior Devops Engineer will be responsible for delivering and managing server infrastructure and related systems. The key responsibilities are listed below.
What we do now:
- Server configuration management using Puppet. Migration from Puppet 3 to Puppet 6
- Manage existing Linux virtual servers in Rackspace, Linode, AWS
- Manage existing network security
- Manage Jenkins CI/CD
- Automate routine tasks by writing Python scripts
- Postgres DB backup/restore, monitoring
- Manage existing monitoring systems (Nagios, Munin, New Relic)
- Set up, manage, and monitor container infrastructure using Kubernetes, Docker or similar tools
- Evaluate, plan, and deliver the deployment pipeline for new microservices-based systems
- Migrate legacy systems to containers
- Evaluate, plan, and deliver monitoring tools for container-based systems
- Help to create an “automate everything” approach to devops
- Set up, manage, and monitor NoSQL servers
- Evaluate, plan, and deliver log analysis tools
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Able to work during Europe and US business hours (at least half the working day should be between 1200-2000 UTC) including making twice-weekly meetings at 1500 UTC
- Puppet experience
- Scripting experience
- Linux admin skills
- Experience of version control systems
- Ability to work as the only Devops specialist in the team, with minimal supervision
- Exceptional communication skills and a strong work ethic; ability to prioritize effectively and get things done in a dynamic, unstructured environment
- Experience extracting actionable recommendations from feedback and data, and communicating it to stakeholders
- Motivated and results-driven, with a high-level of energy, enthusiasm, and initiative
- Ability to travel internationally at least once a year
- Proactive in suggesting new tools and solutions
NICE TO HAVE
- Experience with Rackspace Cloud
- Knowledge of AWS
- Python scripting
- SAML experience
Life at ORCID, Inc.
About ORCID, Inc.
We are a small team of around 10 people, working on software development, devops, QA and user support.
We are based in various locations around the world, and all work remotely from home. The photo above shows us at the annual company retreat, spending time with each other and our colleagues in other teams.
Our main function is to develop and support the ORCID Registry and APIs, but there are also new projects to work on.
The ORCID Registry gets about 8 millions page views a month, and the APIs around 100 million hits a month.
- Open source
- Working from home
- Not for profit