About this job
We are the company behind WordPress.com, Jetpack, and WooCommerce. We are looking for someone to help us develop, build, and maintain our growing global network infrastructure – currently serving customers from 28 locations on 6 continents.
At Automattic, we operate our own global anycast CDN and origin datacenters at 28 locations. We utilize scripting to automate the interactions with our network infrastructure, primarily in Python. We monitor and optimize network routing performance from each datacenter on an ongoing basis. We utilize strategic BGP peering, routing policies, and community tagging to steer requests from other networks to the closest POP for the lowest latency. We design and operate our network with a target of 100% uptime for our customers, including scheduled maintenances.
You can view our anycast performance in real-time at https://ac-map.automattic.com - each color represents a data center. You can also check out some of our work with open-source tool Elasticsearch here: https://developer.wordpress.com/2016/02/08/open-source-netflow-with-elastic-logstash-kibana.
If you are passionate about network performance and uptime, network scripting, and network automation, we want to hear from you!
Experience we look for:
- At least three years of related experience in a large-scale network engineering operations multi-vendor environment.
- Automating network administration using Python, or another high-level scripting language.
- Comfortable working in a Linux/Unix environment.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP stack, application protocols (DHCP/DNS/HTTPs) and networking concepts (VRRP/VLANs/High Availability/Load Balancing/BGP/IGP/ECMP).
- Operation experience working on IP networking technologies, routers, switches, and the application of routing protocols. (OSPF, BGP, MPLS, RSVP, LDP).
- Network troubleshooting on complex internet routing problems, both internal and external.
- Experience with configuring and operating open source tools for network automation, metric collecting, log collecting, and visualizations.
- Experience with internet routing, eBGP peer relationships, routing policies, and traffic engineering.
- Advanced / expert level traceroute/MTR/tcptraceroute/iperf/tcpdump skills.
- Experience with collecting network metrics using SNMP and streaming telemetry.
How to apply:
Send a cover letter telling us about yourself and attach a résumé as a PDF. Let us know what you can contribute to the team.
Please answer the following questions in your cover letter. Applications without these questions answered will not be considered:
- What is Automattic’s ASN (Autonomous System Number)?
- Name a tier 1 Network Service Provider (NSP) that Automattic is using.
- Can you name all 28 datacenters where Automattic is present?
These are exciting times at Automattic and you’ll have a unique opportunity to contribute to the future of our products. Join us! We look forward to hearing from you.
Life at Automattic
Success at Automattic requires:
- Great communication skills. We’re a distributed team, so frequent and clear written communication is a must.
- Self-driven work ethic. You need to be a self-starter who loves taking initiative and seeing things through to completion.
- Curiosity and the desire to learn. Our business is changing and growing fast, who knows what will be the skills of tomorrow? Flexibility is key.
- Ability to Travel. We value those rare occasions when we meet our colleagues in person, and require 2–3 non-consecutive weeks of travel per year, usually by plane.
Diversity & Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our D&I committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly D&I People Lab series for further learning. Diversity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our dedication to diversity and inclusion.
- Work from anywhere in the world – we're fully distributed!
- Open vacation policy – take the time you need
- Home office setup allowance
- Coworking allowance – work in a dedicated space or a café
- Company-sponsored life insurance
- Paid sabbatical every five years
- We cover costs of travel to locations around the world 2-3 times/year
- Additional country-specific benefits including paid health insurance