Full Time / Amsterdam
Internet of Things Consultant
An exciting chance to bring your technical experience and passion for internet connectivity to drive Shell’s ambitious digital strategy. Making a real difference to the way we do business, whilst getting every opportunity to develop your career.
Where you fit
Our world becomes ever more digital and connected and Shell’s global assets are no exception to the case. The amount of data that Shell is collecting globally is huge and we have therefore set up a dedicated team working on extracting useful information from the data to help business decisions.
As our Internet of Things (IoT) Consultant you will become part of the Emerging Technologies team that sits in our Digital Center of Excellence in Amsterdam. Together with your colleagues you constantly keep an eye on the external market to spot the latest digital developments that can be deployed to deliver value to any of the Shell businesses. Whilst your colleagues may be on the lookout for blockchain, robotics or machine learning innovations, you focus specifically on Internet of Things.
What’s the role
Recognizing new IoT opportunities is an important part of the role, but equally important is the actual development, delivery and deployment of IoT and related technologies and solutions (such as Edge, 4G/5G/LTE, Sensors, Track & Trace, etc.). You will do so in an agile fashion in order to provide new insights, drive improvements to business processes and solve business problems.
Working within a fast-paced environment, you’ll exercise a real hands-on technical approach as you advise our business stakeholders and take the lead on a wide range of duties, from device selection, development and configuration, to integration across systems and cloud environments.
More specific responsibilities will include:
- Design and develop proofs-of-technology, prototypes, and implement using IoT hardware, platforms, and multiple communication protocols.
- Building constructive and trusting relationships with (remote) business stakeholders.
- Dealing with challenges in data acquisition from different parts of the business
- Working with start-ups and vendors to develop an understanding of state-of-the-art IoT technologies and to evaluate and benchmark IoT platforms and tools.
What we need from you
While you don’t have to be (or have been) an expert in IoT and related technologies, we do expect you can demonstrate the curiosity and drive to learn about these technologies in a short period of time. In addition, you have contextual analytical skills to identify opportunities for IoT in Shell’s businesses, both at the technical (end-to-end integration) and business level (economics, work-processes). Having experience with technical development in a cloud environment, as well as a degree (Master or PhD) in Computer Science or related areas, will be a strong feature to work with suppliers & start-up companies.
Finally, we hope to see as many of the following on your CV:
- Creative problem solver and team player with strong communication skills.
- Good oversight and being practical at the same time.
- Knowledge of IoT communication protocols.
- Practical experience with MS Azure and/or AWS PaaS cloud solutions, (Good) Knowledge of Python.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential:
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.
Interested in this position? We are happy to get in touch with you! You can send your application by using the link!
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.