Headquarters: London, UK
Area is modernising the user experience of buying and renting a home. We’re a platform for estate agents and their customers that makes it easier and faster to get things done. Area is an early stage, fully-remote and revenue-generating startup (based out of London). The team you’ll work with were the engineering and product VPs at Yoyo Wallet who laid the groundwork for it to become Europe’s fastest growing mobile wallet.
Area’s clients include some of the best-performing estate agents in the UK and over 10,000 customers interact with Area’s software each month (and may not even know it). If the words “estate agent” put you off, they shouldn’t! Our clients love us because we’re industry outsiders and we challenge the status quo. Most of the problems and challenges we're solving are no different than those at other early-stage startups.
We are looking for a remote software engineer with experience building commercially-deployed Rails applications to join us as we scale-up our infrastructure, engineering team and product. This is very much a get your hands dirty start-up role rather than a clock in-and-out role. As it’s remote, there is lots of flexibility around your working schedule, but we’re all about getting things done, so you’ll need to pull your weight. With that said, we value working smarter instead of harder and finding balance.
- Extensive and current understanding of Ruby on Rails
- Good track record of working on commercial-deployed projects
- Experience building and deploying AWS-based environments
- Fluent English speaker (with above-average writing skills)
- Driven to create structured and well-tested code
- Self motivated and able to manage your own workload
Nice To Haves:
- Experience working in partially- or fully-remote teams
- Experience with Angular, React or Backbone
- Experience with iOS and/or Android development
- Interest in or experience in UX, UI and product development
- Work from wherever you want (fully remote role)*
- Monthly remote working budget (e.g. coworking space rent)
- Yearly skills development budget (e.g. courses or books)
- MacbookPro and accessories you need to do your job
- £45k - £75k** per year depending on your skill set and experience
- Private pension contributions (subject to UK residency)
- Flexible holiday allowance and personal days as required
* You may need to adjust your working schedule to have a minimum of 2-4 hours overlap with other team members.
** Or negotiated equivalent contractor rate if you do not have/are not able to get a UK NI number.
- Please tell us about your experience and why you’re interested.
- Initial call with the CEO to learn more about each other
- Second call with the CTO to learn more about each other
- Short pair-programming session to see how you work in action
- If it's a good fit, we’ll make you an official offer in writing
- If you accept, we’ll meet up in person for on-boarding***
*** Either we’ll fly to you, you fly to us or we meet somewhere in between. Of course reasonable travel expenses would be covered.
Direct applicants only. No recruiters please.
To apply: Please write to us at [email protected] and ensure you tell us about your experience, linking to anything relevant we should look at and why you would be interested in join us.