About this job
Note: Although this is a remote position, we are only looking for candidates in European / African timezones between UTC-1 and UTC+3.
At Hotjar we’re on a mission to build the leading user feedback and analytics platform, with our product being used by over 500,000 sites in 190 countries. As part of our Business Intelligence team, you'll work on the exciting challenges that come with large-scale web traffic and analytics.
We work in an agile and highly collaborative environment, 100% remotely, and challenge the norms of traditional business leadership. Our focus is on true transparency and respect.
We're looking for enthusiastic and resourceful data engineers who are passionate about turning data into insights. You want to help teams make data-informed decisions and take data-informed actions, you have a curious mindset, and you are motivated to understand our business better.
Take end-to-end responsibility for designing, building, and maintenance of batch and real-time data pipelines and data solutions.
Choose and manage tools and technologies to build and support a robust data infrastructure.
Be responsible for the data modelling and schema design of our data warehouse.
Identify bottlenecks and improve the performance of all our data pipelines.
Ensure all necessary monitoring and backup solutions are in place.
Be one of the primary points of contact within the organization for data pipelines, ETL processes, and complex queries required by the product or for business intelligence purposes.
- Strong experience using distributed streaming platforms such as Apache Kafka or Amazon Kinesis.
Strong experience developing ETLs and data pipelines using Apache Spark 2.0.0 or higher.
Strong experience with data modelling for data warehousing use-cases, design patterns, and building highly scalable and secure solutions.
Experience with Python, PostgreSQL, and Amazon Redshift.
Experience with Hadoop, plus distributions like EMR, Cloudera or Hortonworks.
Experience with workflow management tools such as Airflow, Luigi or similar.
Experience with end-to-end testing of data pipelines.
Will submit to a background check, confidentially processed by our third-party partner.
Knowledge of data visualization and reporting tools such as Tableau
Experience with Elasticsearch and Redis
Experience with Segment (CDI)
Experience with distributed architectures and microservices.
Experience with cloud services (e.g. AWS, GCP, Azure), Containerization, configuration management and infrastructure automation.
What we offer
A remote and accomplished diverse and international team.
A chance to positively enhance people’s experience online and make the web a better place.
Annual learning and development budget
Several perks designed for your well-being and a healthy work-life balance. (Holiday Budget, Wellbeing Allowance, Working Together Budget, 16 weeks paid parental leave, and much more)
The budgeted compensation range for this role is €70,000 to €90,000 annually. Ranges are based on market research and are equitable to other roles within Hotjar. The actual compensation offered will be based on relative experience. At this time we are only able to provide official employment status to those located in Malta and Germany (for candidates who don’t require visa sponsorship). All other team members will join as full-time consultants and will be responsible for paying any taxes or applicable fees where they reside.
Life at Hotjar
Hotjar is a rapidly growing startup that is giving thousands of website owners the tools needed to discover how their visitors are really using their website. We are looking for passionate and ambitious developers who can help us shape the product and company while growing with us.
Culture at Hotjar:
Headquartered on the beautiful island of Malta, in the “heart” of the Mediterranean, Hotjar is a young startup that embraces remote working and personal development.
Hotjar’s culture is driven by transparency, respect, open discussion, collaboration and blunt and direct feedback. In fact, we’re obsessed with communicating with our users as well as within the team. We hate bureaucracy and slow moving organizations – but we’re suckers for well-defined processes. We love lean, iterative improvements and success is measured by the value we create for our users.
- Remote & Flexible. Work from anywhere within a European timezone.
- Ample Time Off. All team members get 40 days of paid planned leave/year, plus 10 sick days/year and time off to attend conferences / events.
- Collaborate with prestigious organizations. Imagine what it will feels like to be part of a product that is used by companies like Time Inc., Nintendo, Lloyd's Bank, Pingdom, Booking.com, Intuit and the Red Cross.
- Only the best hardware and software. Mac, PC or Linux – we will get you equipped with the best hardware and software available, of your own choice.
- Home Office budget. Every Hotjar team member receives a €4000 home office setup budget, with a yearly €500 top-up thereafter. Upgrade your desk, chair, screens or buy any peripherals you might need.
- Personal Development budget. Everyone receives a free Kindle as well as direct management of their own personal development yearly budget of €1,000. Buy books, short courses or magazine subscriptions.
- Holiday budget. A spend of €2,000/year for each team mate to spend relaxing and recharging on holiday.
- Work Together budget. Even though we're remote, we don't underestimate the value of getting together in person sometimes. Each team member has €2,000/year to spend on travelling to work with other Hotjarians.
- Working Space Allowance. Decide how you want to spend your monthly €200, whether it's on a co-working space, working from a coffee shop, getting your favourite coffee delivered to your home office, etc.
- Wellbeing Allowance. €200/month to spend on your wellbeing, be that physical, mental or spiritual.
- Work with a very talented team. Our team has an impressive background building and optimizing products and businesses around the globe.
- Make a difference. Hotjar is ‘democratizing’ site analytics and feedback by making them affordable and easy to use for everyone around the world. We call it the ‘Hotjar revolution’.
- €4,000 Home Office Budget, topped up €500/year
- 100% Remote
- Free Kindle Paperwhite, Fitbit, Headset and Reading Pack
- €1,000 Annual Personal Development Budget
- €200 Monthly Well Being Allowance
- 40 days leave annually
- Two company retreats each year
- €2,000 Annual Holiday Budget
- €200 Monthly Working Space Allowance
- €2,000 Annual Work Together Budget