About this job
Ruby on Rails powers a lot of our infrastructure, and we’re always looking for talented Rails developers to help us reach the next level.
By joining our team, you’ll get the opportunity to work on extract the billing-related platform functionality to separate isolated services with a team of highly skilled Rails experts from around the world. At Toptal, we push the boundaries on what’s possible with Rails every single day, and we’d love for you to help us get even further.
We don’t cut corners, and we don’t make compromises—we create beautifully architected Rails apps that are polished, fast, well-tested, and a joy to use.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere.
Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship.
Please submit resumes and communication in English.
- Extract the billing-related platform functionality to separate isolated services
- Make releasing billing-related features much faster and easier and to achieve better maintainability and support
- Design, build and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Ruby code.
- Integrate user-facing elements developed by front-end developers with server-side logic.
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs and devise elegant solutions.
- Make strategic technical decisions related to new products and functionality.
- Help maintain code quality.
- Onboard and mentor new team members.
In the first week, expect to:
- Meet the mentors that will guide you during the onboarding month.
- Get acquainted with our tech stack and processes.
In the first month, expect to:
- Develop your first tasks and have them deployed to production.
- Learn about the technology that powers Toptal - services, patterns, and libraries we use and develop.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Deliver value in regular cadence.
- Get comfortable with the daily work routine of our team.
- Review code written by your colleagues.
- Actively supply software planning, development, and maintenance.
- Be ready to propose improvements to Toptal’s processes and codebase.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Contribute to planning and executing multi-sprint initiatives inside your team.
- Lead technical initiatives on our team.
- Drive improvements to the codebase and processes.
In the first year, expect to:
- Have a detailed understanding of Toptal’s technical stack, collaboration rituals, processes, performance, and future work.
- Determine what your career path looks like at Toptal.
- Mentor Toptal’s new team members.
- Exchange 360 feedback with peers in an annual review cycle.
- Understand our Toptal business.
- Strong communication skills, being concise and able to discuss complex matters on any level of abstraction with minimal time spent
- Have 5+ years of web development experience.
- Have a strong knowledge of object-oriented programming, automated software testing, databases, development, and testing essential methodologies.
- Experience with service-oriented architecture.
- Care about multiple quality dimensions like user impact, failure tolerance, code maintenance, implementation time, security breaches, and performance.
- Have experience developing with a web framework—with Ruby on Rails.
- Be genuinely interested in technology and love to try new things.
- Seek complex problems but also consider multiple solutions, weigh them in, and decide on the best course of action.
- Grow with providing and receiving transparent but always constructive feedback.
- Special individual contributors will thrive at Toptal. We are not here just to tell other people what to do.
Life at Toptal
Toptal is a global network of top talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and double-digit growth, Toptal is the largest fully distributed workforce in the world.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun [see this video from The Huffington Post]. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
If you’re not in the job market, you’re exactly the type of person we’re looking for.
- Competitive Compensation
- Unlimited Vacation Days
- No Mandatory Hours
- Travel Any Time, Anywhere
- No Office Politics