We’re running an Online Hiring Event this Saturday to hire SVPs of Technical Product Management ($400K/yr).
Online Hiring Events are live forums designed to enable you to understand the role and requirements through an interactive Q&A session followed by a self-directed testing process. The testing takes between 3-5 hours to complete. It’s worth taking the time to finish all the tests because we evaluate every single complete application to find the top talent.
This event will include all testing required to apply for the role. Upon grading the tests, and if you advance, we will set up an interview with the hiring manager.
As an SVP of TPM, you will work across dozens of products to understand the problems they solve and make important technical decisions that will determine their long-term viability
We believe that our approach towards Technical Product Management is truly unique. We objectively define each product in terms of the market it serves and the technology it leverages.
We uncover market-gaps or user pain-points by identifying CIV (Challenging, Important or Valuable) problems specific to that domain. We employ a standardized process to elicit relevant information from SMEs and succinctly describe each CIV Problem.
We then define Core Functionality (CFs) which the product will implement in order to address each CIV Problem. Through a combination of CIV Problems and CFs, we are in a position to analyze the product-market fit in an objective, standardized fashion. A CIV problem without any CFs is a remaining gap, while a CF which doesn’t address a CIV problem represents unnecessary complexity within the solution.
Once we have articulated the product-market fit, we turn our attention (and most of our time) towards identifying the Important Technical Decisions (ITDs) that will provide the core functionality in the most effective way.
As an SVP, you will:
- Mentor and coach a team of VPs, each defining CIV problems, CFs and making ITDs as part of a weekly iteration of a product specification.
- Control the scope of these specifications and simplify them by focusing on the core of the product and the real world problem that it solves.
- Identify technology trends and understand when to apply them – leveraging leading open source and SaaS solutions to reduce the size and complexity of the product codebase
Help to evolve our standardized processes and playbooks and to ensure that each VP deliverable meets our high-quality standards.
As part of a collaborative group of technical experts, you will create and iterate our process and technology playbooks, providing clear and concise guidance on how to produce each type of deliverable or when and how to apply a particular technology.
On a daily basis you will leverage your existing technical expertise and communication skills to:
- Know what’s important. Understand where to focus your attention. Look for factors that impact the core of the product.
- Communicate clearly and effectively. Not only should you be able to make your point concisely and unambiguously, but you also need to distill the important information from what others say and write.
Be able to simplify. Focus on the core the product, where your input can have the greatest impact.
Being successful as an SVP of TPM requires deep technical skills across a variety of technologies and domains in addition to exemplary communication skills
Specifically, candidates must have
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related discipline, (M.Sc. or Ph.D. preferred)
- Developed and continue to maintain extensive, hands-on expertise in Java and/or C#.
- Leveraged both traditional RDBMS as well as contemporary alternatives such as Graph, Columnar, Key-Value and/or Document databases
- Thorough practical understanding of common Design and Enterprise Integration Patterns
- 5+ years of hands-on production code development and architecture experience in Java or C# on a scalable, commercial product
- 5+ years experience in a senior architecture role at a leading software company, or as CTO/technical co-founder at a smaller company or successful startup
- A total of 15 years experience in designing and developing software solutions
- Managed relationships with board level stakeholders – for example as a senior technical pre-sales engineer or as an SVP, EVP or director-level executive
- Delivered solutions to enterprise clients in sectors such as financial services, telecoms or enterprise SaaS.
- Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English, and the ability to identify and articulate patterns in unstructured and unorganized content
- Have experience managing a team of at least 3+ members and been responsible for the work output they produce in terms of both quantity & quality
- 5+ years of experience being responsible of approving other people’s technical design decisions for a commercial software product or software-as-a-service
- Primary decision maker for how individual cloud services should be used correctly as a part of what you were building
- 5+ years of experience of being responsible for creating design artifacts (including decision-making and documentation responsibilities)
Other, highly desirable skills include
- Expertise in other current, mainstream languages (examples include Python, Go, Kotlin, Scala) and frameworks (examples NodeJS, Spring).
- Architecting web-scale SaaS solutions
- Ongoing contributions to leading Open Source project
- Have led the architecture and design on one or more significant solutions (total revenue more than 20M USD, or an entire user base of more than 1M users)
Our teams are designed to accommodate top talent across a wide range of time zones, however, there are certain hours we require in order to have team-based collaboration or to have customer-facing engagements in the customer’s working hours. Candidates should be able to work 8 hours a day while meeting the following constraints Monday-Friday:
1) 2 hours between 1:00PM-3:00PM UTC (US “core” hours)
2) 2 additional hours between 12PM-12AM EST (US “customer” hours)
3) 4 additional hours in any timezone you wish (“flex” hours)
Join our community of remote professionals!