Headquarters: San Francisco
You’ve heard of Dropbox, Google Drive and probably S3. But what happens when 10 people’s files need to be reviewed by 15 other people across the country in order to quickly figure out what’s relevant before passing it on to a regulatory body with precise specifications for the data they’ll accept? Unlike Dropbox and other storage-focused services, Logikcull’s job is to rip the data apart, dive deep into the analysis, and then present it so that distributed teams with varying levels of technical skill can see the trees through the forest (we also save a lot of trees in the process).
Doing this at the speed of the web requires massive computing, storage, and an ever expanding infrastructure to support them all. Our challenges are both broad and deep because the data we need is nested in other data. Emails have attachments, word documents wrap human-readable content in formatting data structures and almost anything can be printed to PDF. Our system has to be smart enough to recognize everything in order to unpack it properly, graceful enough to remember complex relationships between documents and fast enough to rip through gigabytes concurrently.
And all of this needs to happen at scale, for all of our customers (in 34 different countries and growing), within minutes or hours from the first upload. Insane, right?
It’s controlled chaos at scale and here’s why:
The technical challenges and opportunities for growth are usually enough to keep a top engineer happy. But it’s the social impact Logikcull is having that spurns our people to keep innovating. For instance, several state and local governments have slashed the lead time needed to turn around open records requests (i.e. FOIA) to days by using Logikcull. Prior to Logikcull, this process used to take weeks, months, and in some cases, years. We believe that information requested through the proper channels should flow freely, and we’re living this every day.
Another example where Logikcull is having an impact on our society is litigation. To us, litigation can be a means to affect positive change (see this blog post about how Logikcull helped to save an endangered species of wolves) and it allows people of all means to get access to justice. Getting access to justice also means being able to afford litigation. One of the biggest costs to litigation is paying professionals to sift through the data (i.e. discovery or e-discovery). Logikcull uses technology and a carefully designed interface to make this easy, fast, and affordable. This empowers our customers access to justice, and also save a ton of money - in some cases, millions of dollars are saved by using Logikcull. For a business, the cost savings can be pumped back into the business for growth, employee benefits, and more.
This is why we do what we do. And the positive team-focused engineering culture at Logikcull makes working on these massive problems even more rewarding. If this is something you would like to be a part of, we’d love to hear from you.
Our current stack includes: Rails, Backbone + Marionette, MySQL, MongoDB, and Elasticsearch, all running in AWS.
- You are able to take a design/proposal and carry it through to a thoughtful and polished end result with good test coverage
- You will support our amazing Customer Success team in helping diagnose/explain user-reported bugs and improve existing code
- You will review code written by other engineers and provide useful and honest feedback
- You will take initiative to improve the software whenever you notice something lacking or that is a particular pain point from your use
- You will write documentation around features and operations to help share knowledge and save other developers time
- You will participate in an on call schedule and be open/willing to expand your knowledge of backend systems to keep things operational
- You have the ability to learn and move within the organization as wanted. If you're interested in infrastructure/backend development, site-ops, security, microservices, mobile development etc. we want to keep you interested in your job and help you achieve personal growth
The features you build will have a massive impact into our rapidly growing user base. We build features based on the JTDB (Jobs To Be Done) framework. Every feature is well thought out before we commit to building it. Some of the features we’ve created have saved our users hundreds of wasted hours from doing manual processes. And other features have saved people millions of dollars in unnecessary litigation expenses. Talk about having an impact!
- You have a computer science degree from a 4 year school or 5+ years development experience
- You have experience developing or contributing heavily to a production Rails application
- [Bonus] You have specific experience w/ Backbone + Marionette
- [Bonus] You have experience with Elasticsearch and/or other search technology
- [Bonus] You contribute to open-source projects
- Developers at Logikcull are highly technical, independent, and self organized. We place a lot of trust in our developers to make the right decisions on a day-to-day basis and be pragmatic and transparent about decisions they make.
- You'll fit in at Logikcull if you’re a team player with little ego. We regularly team up with co-workers in a tight-knit (highly distributed) environment for brainstorming, pair programming, and collaboration.
- We want our developers to continually want to grow. You are always looking to get better as a developer and you keep up with newest technologies and consider yourself a polyglot.
- You take calculated risks and experiment in the name of innovation.
- You are fine with with throwing away things if they don't work out, and able to recognize early on when something isn't working out.
- You pay close attention to detail and know that the little things matter when it comes to writing clean/maintainable code.
To apply: Please go here to apply: https://boards.greenhouse.io/logikcull/jobs/465560#.WdMMpRNSz-Y