About this job
Platform.sh is a groundbreaking hosting and development tool for web applications. We’re a European VC-Backed startup with a host of blue-chip Enterprise clients and a string of awards and grants (including €2m from the EU Horizon 2020 program). To reinforce our technical prowess, we are looking to grow our engineering team. If you’re looking for an exciting, high-growth opportunity with an award-winning, cutting-edge company, this could be just the job for you.
The company is fully distributed and remote first, with a strong accent on diversity and inclusion in all of its dimensions (gender, sexual orientation, age, race, country of origin - you have it, we want it).
For its groundbreaking PaaS solution https://platform.sh is looking for a Pythonian Cloud Engineer with a taste for Go, good Linux system understanding, and a real hunger for the challenges of building robust, distributed systems.
Platform.sh is a PaaS shrouded in a lot of black magic (we can consistently clone a whole running cluster, with its state, databases, indexes in a matter of seconds). We want to get this down to the hundreds of milliseconds domain. Interested? There is more...
Our external API is pure Hypermedia REST + oAuth on top of Pyramid. It mechanizes the Git layer and needs more features.
We can consistently generate from the same manifest a Docker container, an LXC one, or VM disk images (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, OpenStack), we want more targets.
We probably have the highest container density in the industry. We need to get it higher.
We support any Python, Ruby, NodeJS, PHP, Java and .NET time to roll-out Elixir, of course Elixir, and Rust.
We need to have more auto-healing on the high-availability clusters. We need more performance out of our multi-protocol ssh proxy. We need work on our Ceph Implementation; We need to get the Debian package generation streamlined and faster. We need… great ideas on how to make Platform.sh even better. Interested? Join us!
This is a remote position and occasional travel to cool places like Paris, France, may be required.
Skills & requirements:
- Be a really really good dev that likes testing, understands how an OS works, knows networking, how git works, and the constraints of a distributed system.
- Be proficient in Python
- Some familiarity with Go (or the willingness to learn) - hard core expertise here, also appreciated.
Would be really great if you had:
- Experience with C (we contribute to a bunch of upstream projects, like LXC) is a plus; Love not required.
- Great knowledge of Git
- Good Networking background (routing/protocols)
- Good grasp of practical security and cryptography
- Good knowledge of how the Web works (Hacking Nginx with Lua a plus). You may want to brush up on HTTP before the interview.
- Good understanding of how database systems and search engines work
- A good notion on distributed systems (consensus protocols like Raft/Paxos, eventual consistency models, gossip protocols)
- Mad Debian Skills. Sporting a Debian plaid cloth during the interview is not frowned upon.
To be clear so you are not surprised in the technical interview, this job is very much more for a systems engineer, rather than an application developer. So knowing about system calls is important, while knowing Django, not so much.
Life at Platform.sh
Platform.sh is a next-generation platform-as-a-service tool: We offer modern development tooling, infrastructure automation, and the other components of the hosting layer in a product that is focused on the needs of software engineers creating applications on the web. Our goal is to build a product that furnishes a unified developer experience from the first Git commit to the last production deployment, while handling as many of the chores and as much of the effort as we can along the way. Our work on the platform and the creation of this offering now spans the industry: From a half-dozen cloud infrastructure providers to various noteworthy enterprise clients, larger agency and OEM partners, and more!
In addition to offering an awesome product to customers, Platform is a fantastic place to work. We are a globally distributed company -- our official HQ office is in Paris but only ~10% of our staff is physically located there at any given time, and totally remote work is standard. The company is now about 5 years old, having grown in size to over 150 employees spanning 30 countries and every continent save for Antarctica. We view this diversity and the quality of our people as some of the company's greatest strengths. Our commitments to employee happiness and the long-term health of the staff are not just text for a job ad -- over time, they have resulted in stupendously high retention rates and one of most experienced and mature teams in the industry.
We're always looking to expand that team with talented additions who like the way we do things. If you want to build really cool technology and work with other great people, apply today!
- Work from home, wherever you are
- Safe and friendly working environment
- Stock options for everyone
- Rest and recovery are essential to health and happiness; we get that