About this job
Calico is a research and development company whose mission is to understand the biology of aging and devise interventions that enable longer and healthier lives. Executing this mission will require an unprecedented level of interdisciplinary effort and a long-term focus for which funding is already in place.
Calico is looking for a part-time software engineer (contractor) who is passionate about developing web applications for visualizing, sharing and reusing biological data. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing and building a public website for an ongoing project. The primary goal of the website is to provide the scientific community with access to a large-scale dataset using specialized searching, browsing and visualization tools. To achieve this goal, the developer will work in close collaboration with the project leader, a UI/UX expert, a data curator and several data analysts.
- 3+ years of experience with Python, Django and SQL databases
- 3+ years of experience with interactive data visualizations for the web, including libraries such as Plotly, D3.js or others
- Fluency with software best practices (e.g., unit tests, self-documenting code), distributed version control (e.g., git) and issue tracking
- Good understanding of biology, especially functional genomics
- Ability to communicate, take feedback and iterate
- Demonstrated ability to create high-quality product within budget and timelines
Nice to have:
- Experience with Google Cloud storage and computing environments
- Experience with biological databases (e.g., SGD, BioGRID, Gene Ontology), data cross-referencing and integration
- Hourly rates commensurate with experience
- Flexible schedule with a minimum of 10 hours/week
- Estimated work volume: 320 hours, with possibility of extension
- Remote work welcome
Life at Calico
Our mission is to harness advanced technologies to increase our understanding of the biology that underlies lifespan, and to seek interventions that enable people to lead longer and healthier lives.
We bring together scientists and technologists, thinkers and tinkerers, to explore the fundamental biology of aging. At Calico, you'll work closely with scientists to help ask big scientific questions, and invent software to help answer them.
- Comprehensive health care coverage
- Generous compensation, 401k matching, bonus, and college savings
- Work with passionate colleagues on cutting-edge science and technology
- Paid vacation, family leave, and other support programs
- Free breakfast and lunch, and unlimited snack kitchens
- On-site gym, wellness classes, and fitness subsidy
- Professional development, conferences, and tuition assistance
- Shuttles and transit reimbursement
- Supportive culture that values work-life balance