About this job
LOCATION: Remote within the US or Oakland, CA
Daily Kos is the nation’s largest liberal online political community, news organization, and activism hub. Powered by millions of dedicated activists, we’re transforming media and organizing by empowering regular Americans to reshape politics.
We are seeking a passionate Senior Web Developer who will deliver new features in the Content Applications (publishing, authoring, commenting, image library) team on a large Rails application. This person must be efficient, self-motivated, and capable of working with limited guidance.
Daily Kos is an exciting workplace! Our site is used by hundreds of thousands of people a day who care deeply about progressive politics and are working to affect real political change. We provide an extensive feature set that extends from blogging to activism and beyond, built on top of a modern tool chain that includes Rails, React, Varnish, Nginx, RDS/MySQL, Haskell, Nix, ElasticSearch, and AWS. We have an energized team of great people with diverse backgrounds and skill sets. If you’re interested in a position that offers more than just a technical challenge, we’d love to hear from you.
- Design, architect, and code high-performing application solutions
- Partner with engineering team in building best-in-class interface
- Work collaboratively with QA team to deliver quality user experience
- Share on-call responsibilities with team
- Remain current on test, development, and deployment best practices
- Be a team player, share knowledge, and mentor other team members through pairing, feedback, and discussions, etc.
- 7+ years of progressive software development experience
- Experience working remotely in a virtual work environment
- Extensive development experience in a large and complex (Ruby/Rails) codebase with an emphasis on delivering to production
- Production experience with JS frameworks utilizing virtual DOM and dataflow techniques for building responsive web user interfaces such as React, Redux, Angular, Vue.js)
- Demonstrated proficiency integrating with third party APIs in Ruby
- Thorough understanding of TDD/BDD/testing, etc.
- Familiar with the Agile development process
- Motivated, organized, and self-directed technical leader
- Critical thinker with thirst for knowledge and continuous improvement
- Ability to work autonomously, take ownership, and deliver a quality software experience
- Excellent communication skills and comfortable talking with team members at all levels
SALARY RANGE: $130,000 - $140,000
The above list is a set of highly desired attributes; we will evaluate each candidate as a whole. Tell us about unique skills, experiences, and attributes that you can bring to such a role that we may be missing and why it would be a benefit to the organization.
This position is a 40 hour/week, full-time exempt position and reports to the Senior Application Architect. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States. The position offers a flexible work environment, the ability to work remotely or from home, competitive salary, excellent benefits including: full medical, dental and vision benefits, optional 401K with a company match, professional development stipend, a generous vacation package, as well as employer-paid maternity/family leave. Our organizational commitment to personal growth and work-life balance reduces churn and encourages a very rewarding long term position.
At Daily Kos, we believe that the diversity of ideas, experiences, and cultures that our employees contribute to our organization help us be more effective activists, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We have a team of amazing people with different backgrounds and talents that are energized by the day’s news events, and people united by common cause. We’re a company that loves learning and supports growth and training for all our employees.
Women, people of color, and LGBTQIA individuals strongly encouraged to apply.
About Daily Kos (Kos Media LLC)
Daily Kos is the nation's largest liberal online political community, news organization, and activism hub. Powered by millions of dedicated activists, we’re transforming media and organizing by empowering regular Americans to reshape politics.
At Daily Kos, we believe that the diversity of ideas, experiences, and cultures that our employees contribute to our organization help us be more effective activists, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We're a company that loves learning and supports growth and training for all our employees. This position will be located remotely or in our Oakland, CA office.
- 100% Medical Coverage
- 6 weeks paid vacation per year
- 401K Plan