About this job
- Directly manage four engineers--we’re growing!--through coaching, giving feedback, having one-on-ones, assisting with career development, giving performance reviews, etc.
- Help build an incredible engineering culture.
- Create and improve engineering processes, applications, and systems for scale (you are leading this from the ground up!), which you will need to ensure are documented and communicated. You will build the blueprint, which will be hugely impactful for the company.
- You will report to the CTO, manage projects and collaborate with key stakeholders. You will collaborate closely with other teams such as design, product and sales.
- Perform code reviews (we use Node.js).
- Build scalable backend applications to support the growing needs of the business.
- Work with both SQL (we use Postgres) and NoSQL (Neo4j/MongoDB) databases and caching technologies like Redis.
- Take full ownership and responsibility for building, shipping, and maintaining core features, end to end.
- Collaborate with CTO to scale our infrastructure and introduce new technologies.
- One of your first project will be to do an audit of how we do things (look at our processes, talk to engineers, etc.) and determine what are priorities to work on.
Who are you?
- Proven ability to lead high performing teams and to promote an incredible engineering culture
- At least 5+ years experience in production environment
- A BS degree in Computer Science or other related technical fields
- Experience with Node.js applications in production (most of our stack)
- Experience with REST APIs
- Experience with CI/CD and unit testing
- Comfortable with agile methodologies (scrum, kanban etc…)
- Work remotely from anywhere while (working U.S Eastern Time hours)
- Flexible schedule and a goal-oriented culture
- Fun work environment and company culture with an upbeat motivated team
We are looking for someone who matches our level of joy for the work we do, brings something new to the team, and elevates our game. A sense of humor, a lack of ego, and a desire to do great work is essential.
Working at Respondent is a unique experience. You will be part of a remote, diversified team around the U.S. and world, giving you the flexibility to fit work into your life in whatever way you want.
However, we care deeply about creating a cohesive, tight-knit culture that gets results. That’s why we offer our employees the following:
- A new office set up, including a new Macbook Pro, desk, second screen, ergonomic chair, and anything else you need to work at your best
- A healthcare allowance
- Flexible vacation time
- Stock options
- Company retreat for teammates to get to know one another in-person: our last retreat was in New Orleans!
Respondent is an equal opportunity employer
Respondent provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, marital status or veteran status.
Applicants for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that applicants can be declined from the position at any stage of the process.
- Qualified applicants receive a few questions to answer
- Selected candidates will be invited to schedule a 30 minute intro call with our CTO
- Next, Candidates will be invited to schedule a behavioral interview with the CEO
- Next, candidates will be invited to complete a technical test (up to 4 hours over 5 days) (no live coding)
- Next, candidates will be invited to review the technical test with our CTO and other software engineers.
- Candidates will then be invited to schedule an additional interview with (CEO, CTO, COO)
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer.
- As always, the interviews and screening call will be conducted via a video call.
This is a full time position - No Contractor
Life at Respondent
Research is the foundation of great companies, which is why Respondent is revolutionizing how it’s completed.
Respondent is a two-sided marketplace that connects market and usability researchers with the highest quality research participants in the world. Our platform gives researchers a single place to quickly find the right participants for their projects, as well as schedule and pay them instantly. It simplifies the work that’s necessary to conducting quality research. Companies like IBM, Airbnb, Uber, Microsoft, Procter & Gamble and many more have already integrated us into their research processes.
Respondent is not only at the forefront of research -- we are also at the forefront of work trends. We are firm believers that the world is transitioning to a remote workforce and as a result, are an entirely distributed team. Cities are becoming more expensive, commutes are growing longer, and people are spending less time focusing on their families and themselves. Working on a distributed team gives our team members the chance to live in more affordable and desirable locations, take care of their loved ones, and do what they love. For instance, our employees have the freedom to travel regularly, work out when they want to, and enjoy their hobbies. They work hard, but are able to prioritize their lives as well.
Respondent is a truly global, fully remote, and high-impact workforce, and are excited to announce we’re looking for a passionate and talented Lead Software Engineer to join our team.
- Flexible Vacation
- Team retreat