About this job
Reaction Commerce is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our new platform engineering team. As a pioneering member of the core services team at Reaction Commerce your primary focus will be advancement of the Reaction platform where data streams are the source of truth. This is a hands on role. You will write functional code to build microservices and establish patterns that will be used by the rest of the team.
Here is a list of the type of work that you’ll be spending the majority of your time on:
- Produce clean well documented idiomatic code.
- Be creative and experiment with new solutions while being pragmatic and committed to code optimization, maintainability, and quality.
- Design and develop highly scalable, observable, functional microservices from prototype to production.
- Create intelligent monitors for key metrics to understand service and overall system health.
- Learn and teach your fellow engineers new technologies and architectures.
- Be a storyteller and clearly document designs, tradeoffs, and lessons learned from prototyping and your Hammock Time.
- Improve productivity of the team through code abstractions and custom tooling, like custom libraries and project templates.
Here is a list of our hard requirements, which we’ve worked to keep short. We believe you’ll excel in this role if you possess the following:
- Experience working in a functional programming language, with a preference for declarative implementations and immutability.
- Strong experience designing web-based APIs in REST or GraphQL.
- Understanding of systems design, algorithms, and data structures.
- Demonstrable knowledge of queues, distributed logs, and streaming systems of various types.
- Experience mentoring high quality teams, and instilling a mindset of engineering excellence (e.g. TDD, pairing, code reviews, design documentation)
- Experience and knowledge of the JVM and the Java ecosystem in addition to compile to JVM languages.
- Ability to write clear, effective documentation.
We value your knowledge and skills more than an arbitrary amount of experience using any specific technology or a university degree in a specific field. As a Senior Software Engineer, we expect that you’ll have the skills and knowledge that are typically gained working on production applications for many years and studying in a university Computer Science program, but we don’t care how you’ve acquired those skills or how long it took you.
The ideal candidate will have deep experience in a few of these topics
- A polyglot background with languages that present varied programming paradigms and perspectives.
- Experience writing libraries or abstractions with declarative interfaces.
- Prior work using CQRS & event-sourcing.
- Experience using Kafka, Kafka Streams, Docker, Docker Compose, and GraphQL.
- Familiarity with relational, document, and key-value store databases and knowledge of common data modeling patterns used in each.
- Enough devops experience to get your projects deployed to AWS.
- Interest in programming in Clojure.
As a distributed team building open source software, we understand that being a great software engineer is much more than having a deep technical skillset. Our culture is one of communication, character, cooperation, and competence. We believe that people who have these foundational characteristics will be able to hit the ground running.
- Motivated, self-starter who can work in a distributed team environment
- Open-minded mentality
- Goal oriented personality
- Empathy for customers, community, and co-workers
- Tendency to teach others what you know and excitement for sharing knowledge
- Growth oriented mindset and a desire to be better today than yesterday
- Desire to deliver an exceptional customer experience
- Critical thinker who will work to solve the right problem
- Cooperative attitude and an ability to pair program effectively with other engineers
- Ability to think holistically for a given project or problem
- Position: Full Time
- Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience, stock options, medical and dental benefits
- Location: Americas Time zone
- ~40-50 hours/week
- You’ll be expected to make team meetings and work at least 5 hours/day that overlap with 9AM-5PM Pacific
Life at Reaction Commerce
About Reaction Commerce
At Reaction Commerce, we believe that the best results comes from shared ideas. We’re an open source platform built on open source code, driven by modern technology and the spirit of our global community. Collaborate with us at our Santa Monica HQ, located just minutes from the beach, or work remotely from anywhere in the world.
Physical and mental health is important to us, which is why we offer full medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees, plus stock options, flexible office hours, a stocked kitchen and weekly lunches at the Santa Monica HQ, a minimum vacation policy, vacation stipends, and more.
We’re an equal opportunity employer, but we go above and beyond mere lip service. We welcome people of any gender identity, ethnicity, age, size, nationality, sexual orientation, neurotype, religion, elder status, family structure, culture, subculture, education level, identity, and self-identification. We think accessibility for people with disabilities is a priority, not an afterthought. We think neurodiversity is a feature, not a bug.
We believe in being inclusive, welcoming, and supportive of anyone who comes to us with the desire to build, collaborate, and lead. To learn more, visit our diversity statement
- 100% coverage for medical, dental, and vision
- Minimum vacation policy & stipends
- Up to 12 weeks for new parent leave
- Stocked kitchen, weekly lunches, and office dogs at Santa Monica HQ
- 401k retirement plan
- Work from anywhere in the world
- Learning stipend for books, classes, or trainings
- Diverse and inclusive culture
- Bi-annual in-person all-hands meetups