Headquarters: Traverse City, MI
MotorsportReg.com is the best place to organize, find and attend automotive and motorsport events. We are like Eventbrite for anything requiring an engine: racing, track days, autocross, karting, drifting, motorcycles, karting and rally.
Part of Hagerty, an automotive lifestyle brand for people who love cars, we are a fully-remote SaaS team supporting 1,300 clubs, racetracks and sanctioning bodies with our CRM, event management platform and marketplace. With 7,000 events managed annually by our customers, our goal is to be the number one commerce platform for motorsport events - making it easier to organize and attend events.
About the Role
As the lead and sole designer on our product team, you will own all UI/UX mobile and web design for MotorsportReg.com. The ideal candidate is highly inquisitive and outcome-oriented, validating intuition derived from experience with quantitative and qualitative input from users, contextual research and analytics.
Balancing visual design, information architecture and interaction design, you will collaborate closely with developers to rapidly get value into the hands of users. You will create and maintain guidance and patterns which developers can independently use to implement common screens and flows while you focus your deep thinking on new features and unusual use cases. Like painting the Golden Gate bridge, the job is never done; we return to the beginning and start fresh based on what we’ve learned and the current requirements.
- Collaborate with the Product Manager to conceive and design new features and services from scratch as well as improve existing systems
- Use a complete range of fidelity to support decision-making including sketches, user flows, wireframes, mockups, and prototypes
- Analyze user feedback and activity and, partnering with the Product Manager, determine how to iterate to enhance the user experience
- Independently conduct concept and “hallway usability” tests to gather rapid feedback and partner with the Hagerty UX testing team for more formal research
- Create and maintain guidance and patterns which developers can independently use to implement common screens and flows while you focus on new features and unusual use cases
- Nail the big picture flows, architecture and navigation as well as the micro-interactions of animations, loading states and transitions
- Everyone on our team talks to users and attends motorsport events – this keeps us close to our customers and our empathy high
- Strong portfolio of product design, interaction design and visual design for mobile/web applications
- Experience with complex applications where you've made tasks feel easy and approachable
- Have great writing skills to effectively communicate with the team and customers (as a remote team, we live on Slack so you will write a lot)
- Familiarity with HTML/CSS - no need to be a front-end developer but you should be comfortable translating photoshop/sketch/etc into HTML/CSS
- Experience working with developers deploying frequently and having the discretion to judge what is good enough to ship and iterate rather than wait for a perfect release
- Previous role in a distributed environment such as a remote worker, freelancer or self-employed is (almost) mandatory
- Experience with modern development practices that include Git, Docker, AWS, continuous integration and deployment
- User research and testing experience such as UserTesting.com, designing A/B tests, analyzing MixPanel data, usability audits, picking up the phone or observing a user.
What You Can Expect
As a remote team, we stay connected with Slack and Zoom. Our software lifecycle revolves around Git, Docker, AWS and Node/VueJS. Design has been a mix of Sketch and InvisionApp (but we're not tied to them if you have other faves). We have daily huddles to keep things moving and you'll have regular 1:1s with your manager to discuss your needs and goals.
We have deadlines like everyone else, but because we value work-life integration, we do not expect routine long hours. A well-rested and well-rounded top performer with ruthless focus will deliver substantially more in 40-45 hours than a team of burnouts sitting in front of a screen 60 hours a week.
Who You'll Work With
We're a 15-person team which means you'll interact with everyone but, on a day-to-day basis, these are your four primary future teammates until we grow the team further in 2020:
- Brian Ghidinelli created MotorsportReg in San Francisco after experiencing the pain of managing HPDE events with paper forms, paper checks, and manual spreadsheets. Our emphasis on continual improvement comes from him.
- Ryan Guill has 20 years of experience as a software developer across many industries which helps him solve problems elegantly. He has special strengths at the database layer that let us do things with SQL you can't achieve with an ORM. Ryan is based in Tennessee and cares deeply about making the lives of our users easier.
- Katie Moosman worked at Miller Motorsports Park and Circuit of the Americas as a MotorsportReg user before joining the team. With more than 14 years in the industry, she is based in Utah and recently transitioned from our customer success team to developer role.
- Chris Redrich is our product manager. He grew up watching family members race trucks and modified stock cars at the local oval track in Southern California where he still resides. He sits at the intersection of business requirements, user needs, roadmap prioritization and team execution. Chris will be your manager in this role.
Whether you're a motorsport fanatic or have never set foot at a racetrack, you'll find our team and our customers to be a fun group of passionate enthusiasts.
What We're Offering
- Competitive market-rate salary dependent on experience
- Work from anywhere in United States
- The team gathers twice a year for fantastic in-person retreats
- Occasional on-site visits to motorsport events with potential or current customers
- Medical, vision, and dental coverage for you and your dependents including Telemed service on your phone
- 3 weeks paid time off annually, rolls over and accrues up to 12 weeks
- 401K with up to 4% instant matching
- Maternity leave of 12 weeks + spouses eligible for 2 weeks. Also adoption assistance up to $5,000.
- Hagerty Drivers Club with roadside assistance for your cars
- Hobby related benefits including Automotive Enthusiast Certificate, Auto Restoration Scholarships, Hagerty Driving Experience, Collector Loan Discount program and Hagerty Driving Academy
- Also: Employee Assistance Program, Tuition Reimbursement, Student Loan assistance, Car Seat program for new parents
- MotorsportReg is part of Hagerty, a company with a strong culture infused with automotive passion and a certified Great Place To Work
Ready to take the Green Flag?
We hope you’re the one! Let us know why you want to work with us by filling out our application including a link to your portfolio.