Headquarters: San Francisco, CA
Gridium is looking for a backend engineer to help us build the next generation of energy and operations software tools for buildings. You’ll participate in evolving our system for better resiliency, scalability, and transparency.
Buildings are responsible for 40% of the world’s energy footprint. A typical building contains thousands of pieces of equipment, sensors, and interconnections. Gridium makes software that helps people run their buildings better, at lower cost and with less energy.
We’re looking for a US-based engineer to design, develop, and scale our backend services, as well as contribute on the front end. At Gridium we manage quite a bit of data, pouring in daily from hundreds of thousands of electric and gas meters. We need help gathering data, running analytics, and making the results available to our web applications. That’s where you come in.
About the job
Our stack lives on AWS and includes Docker, Postgres, Python, Java, Elasticsearch, and Ember.js. For this role, we’re looking for someone with strong Python and relational database experience. Experience with Java, Selenium, or writing web scrapers are all pluses. Experience with any modern front-end framework is also useful.
You should be comfortable with consuming 3rd party APIs, ETL processes, data validation, and debugging across multiple systems. You should be able to make good decisions (and explain them!) about when to build something custom vs taking advantage of AWS and/or open source options.
You should have strong experience with Python, SQL, and writing unit tests. You should be self-directed, responsible, and committed to delivering efficient, well-documented, and well-tested code.
We are a small team, and you should expect to work closely with both engineers and non-technical staff. We need someone who is self-directed and a great problem-solver, but also able to ask good questions and collaborate effectively with teammates. For example, you might trace a data issue from a 3rd party API to a Java parsing task to a relational database, then explain what’s wrong and how to fix it.
- Do you enjoy a fast-moving startup environment?
- Are you an expert in debugging services with lots of moving parts?
- Are you excited about what you can do with AWS products and services?
- Are you obsessed with data, and experienced with data modeling?
- Do you want to truly own the systems you work on?
- Are you comfortable working in a remote environment?
- Do you enjoy diving deep into complex systems to track down a data issue?
If so, Gridium is the place for you.
- Strong experience with Python.
- Experience writing SQL and tuning relational database queries.
- Proficiency creating integrations with external APIs.
- Ability to design systems for observability and effective monitoring.
- Must currently reside in the United States and have the legal right to work in the United States; must be available to travel for four days each quarter.