Headquarters: Boston, MA
DockYard is searching for Senior-level Ruby on Rails Developers with deep knowledge in PostgreSQL and proven database design and performance tuning skills.
Who We Are
DockYard is a software consultancy that specializes in web applications. We have in-house designers, developers, and project managers, and we are looking for senior-level Ruby on Rails Developers to join our growing team. You’ll work alongside talented individuals on groundbreaking projects for the world’s largest companies.
What We Do
We help ambitious companies transform new ideas into fully deployed web applications. Our clients range from seed funded and early stage startups, who depend on us to define and deliver business-critical workflows, to established enterprise companies seeking fresh perspective and deep expertise on new projects.
The ideal candidate is self-driven and passionate about web technologies and industry best practices, and has experience building complex Ruby on Rails backends to power single-page applications built with frameworks such as Ember.js.
What It’s Like to Work Here
We offer a comprehensive benefit plan with a focus on providing an exceptional working environment. Some of these benefits include:
- 100% Remote workforce
- 100% DockYard paid medical, dental, vision, life & AD&D starting Day 1
- 401(k) offered through Vanguard
- Substantial paid time off
- Conference stipend
- Work independently or with other engineers to develop user experience-focused web applications, or provide support for existing systems.
- Collaborate with designers, frontend developers, stakeholders, and clients to understand business goals, analyze requirements, formulate solutions, and ensure the successful execution and delivery of the end product.
- Assist in scoping, estimating, and planning of projects.
- Participate in code review, pairing, and other forms of knowledge sharing
- Tier 2 support on some application projects may be required at times.
- Some travel required.
- Versed in Ruby on Rails development
- Advanced knowledge of PostgreSQL
- Experience designing complex database schemas and optimizing systems based on transactional and analytical needs (OLTP vs. OLAP)
- Familiarity with various data modeling, indexing, partitioning, and caching strategies, and proven experience identifying performance bottlenecks
- Strong understanding of views and materialized views, and associated benefits and drawbacks
- Understands best practices for web development and software design, and relishes opportunities to transform complex, legacy codebases into robust, scalable, and maintainable systems
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
Nice to Haves
- Prior client services, consulting, or freelancing experience
- Experience working in a remote team
- Experience working with external APIs and microservices
DockYard is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion,