About this job
On being an Edge API Engineer at balena
Balena helps developers deploy and manage tens of thousands of devices across the globe. These devices come in many different types and architectures, with varying resource constraints. To keep all of these devices healthy, responsive and ultimately functional, balena utilizes an on-device agent, named the balenaSupervisor. This agent is responsible for managing application containers and data on-device, communicating state changes with our API, and fulfilling the requirements of our users’ application code.
As an Edge API Engineer at balena, your role will include designing and writing fault-tolerant code on an open source project that is used in a mission critical part of our product. You will be a core member of the balenaSupervisor team and act as a go-to resource for internal and external developers working with this key component. You will also help develop the roadmap for future improvements to and expansion of balenaSupervisor functionality.
- Coordinate with the balenaSupervisor team to design solutions to complex problems
- Help maintain the balenaSupervisor open source repository; interact with community members and help guide contributions
- Be highly motivated to produce great code
- Balance short-term fixes and feature releases with the need for a clean and consistent architecture
- Evaluate customer requirements and other inputs to determine the scope and timing of new functionality
- Collaborate closely with our device, OS and product teams
- Actively invest in our own technology, libraries and frameworks
- Understand security best practices and strive to apply them to your work
- Push for delivering a great UX for fleet owners
Need to have:
- Good understanding of software engineering practices and how to apply them
- Product mindset: gather feedback, understand and articulate user needs, help develop your component roadmap, and build solutions
- Perseverance to understand the root cause when investigating elusive bugs
- Self-discipline to take on a project and push it to completion without too much management
- Be willing to ask for help, and provide it to those who ask
- Strong problem-solving abilities. You can split a complex problem into incremental pieces
- Continuous improvement mindset and desire to make yourself and others more effective
- Comfortable working in an environment that practices radical candor and transparency
- Excellent written communication skills, and fluency in English
Nice to have:
- A sample of your work
- Experience leading or contributing to OSS projects (please include a URL)
- Have worked remotely before
- Experience with balena as a user
- Experience with embedded GNU/Linux, anything ranging from personal projects with a Raspberry Pi to commercial or industrial scenarios with custom devices
- Experience with Node.js, Docker, microservice architectures, rust
- Experience with embedded development and microprocessors
Make sure to let us know if any of these items apply to you!
Life at Balena
Balena's mission to unlock the potential of physical computing by removing friction for IoT fleet owners. We believe that edge computing is the next major computing paradigm, and every new computing paradigm needs a scalable development platform to match. We're building that platform with a complete, end-to-end solution that makes it easy for any developer to build applications for IoT and the Edge.
Our software platform helps developers build, deploy and manage code on connected devices. We brought Docker to embedded GNU/Linux devices in 2013 and have been building our toolkit ever since. Our core product is the balenaCloud platform, but we also maintain a variety of successful open source projects including Etcher, openBalena, balenaOS and balenaEngine and made contributions to high-exposure projects such as Docker, Electron, and AppImage. We've also recently released our first hardware product, the balenaFin.
Our technology is open, standards-based, and proven in production across a wide range of scenarios from robotics, drones, smart buildings, 3D printing, agriculture, medicine, and more. Our investors include OpenView, Threshold Ventures, Big Pi Ventures and Ericsson.
Balena is a highly distributed, remote-friendly company We rely on clear communication and the rule of "assume positive intent" to help us work together across time zones, cultures and first languages. As an organization, we have little hierarchy, and organize as needed to build complex features and solve big problems.
- Work with extremely talented, distributed team
- Work remotely
- Flexible working hours
- Equipment of your choice
- Annual company gathering in an international location
- We send you hardware for side projects!