About this job
Balena is looking for a DevOps engineer to work with the balena core services. DevOps engineers at Balena work closely with developers to facilitate moving code from development to production in a reliable, stable, and efficient manner. We're a growing company with opportunities to shape the future of our core system architecture and work to solve the good problems associated with scaling. As a company at the forefront of the emerging IoT sector, and one of the very few putting Docker on embedded devices, we move quickly and innovate aggressively to solve our problems in new and interesting ways.
You will spend time on...
- Deploying Docker images to production
- Developing tools to reduce dev -> prod friction
- Investigating and evaluating new technologies
- Collaborating with the team to design internal tooling
- Participating in on-call rotation
- Take pride in your work and are passionate about good code.
- Can’t imagine starting a new project without version control.
- Are an excellent communicator, fluent in English.
- Have a good internet line available so you can join a video call without trouble.
- Are comfortable taking on a project and pushing it to completion without too much management.
- Have a portfolio of code to show, on GitHub or otherwise.
Life at Balena
Balena provides a software platform that helps developers build, deploy and manage code on connected devices. We brought Docker to embedded GNU/Linux devices in 2013 and have been building our IoT toolkit ever since. We also maintain a variety of successful open source projects including Etcher, openBalena, balenaOS and balenaEngine and made contributions to high-exposure projects such as Docker, Electron, and AppImage.
Our technology is open, standards-based, and proven in production across a wide range of scenarios from drones, 3D printers, point-of-sale devices, tidal turbines, skyscrapers and more. Our investors include DFJ, Aspect Ventures, GE, and Ericsson.
Balena is a highly distributed, remote-friendly company with a pretty much flat hierarchy. Our organization is adaptive, getting feedback signals from our users and systems. Right now we organize ourselves by projects, which allow us to build complex features and solve big problems, while staying mutable. As a distributed group, we rely on clear communication and the rule of "assume positive intent" to help us work together across time zones, cultures and first languages. Our base of operations is nominally London, though really we are living all over the world: from Barcelona to Bulgaria, Argentina to Vietnam, and many more.
About working at balena
We come from 15+ countries, and we embrace a remote culture with flexible hours. To us, this means being highly productive while still maintaining a healthy work-life balance. You need to be able to work remotely, and have a dependable internet access available so you can join video calls.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We value knowledge and initiative more than educational and personal backgrounds, age, or location. We maintain a work environment in which team members are treated with respect at all times and in which thoughts and ideas can be shared openly.
We communicate proposals, discuss with others in the team and accept feedback if it makes the result better. We value the ability to learn, which is more important to us than knowledge of specific technologies. We know that learning fast means being outside our comfort zone, which is OK -- we'd rather learn than let our assumptions get in our way.
We're delighted to hear about you! Send us your CV, with a focus on what you can bring to the team.
- Work with extremely talented, distributed team
- Work remotely
- Flexible working hours
- Equipment of your choice
- Annual company gathering in an international location
- We send you hardware for side projects!